I used to make cheese cake all the time. Thanksgiving. Christmas. Random days of the week. It’s not difficult. The most arduous thing you have to do is go buy a springform pan. Unless you already have one.
This recipe started life in a Dear Abby column. Over the years I have altered a number of things so now I guess it’s mine.
Making the cheesecake is easy. Waiting for it to chill enough to eat is hard. But this cheesecake is worth the wait.
You will need an eight or nine inch spring form pan and an electric mixer.
for the crust:
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/4 pound of butter
Directions: Mix the graham cracker crumbs and sugar in a bowl. Melt the butter and add it to the crumb/sugar mixture. Use a fork. When all the crumb/sugar is combine with the melted butter, line the bottom of a SPRING FORM PAN with the mixture. Pack it firmly and be sure to bring it up the side to cover the seam between the pan and the pan bottom.
(I had a difficult time finding graham crackers without high fructose corn syrup. I found a graham cracker crumb crust in a local organic supermarket. I simply dumped the crust into the spring form pan and spread it out with my fingers. It is important, no matter what crust you use, to make sure the seam between the pan and the bottom is covered with the crust.)
for the cake:
1 cup granulated sugar
3 eight ounce blocks of cream cheese (NOT whipped) (at room temperature)
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 eggs (at room temperature)
16 ounces sour cream (at room temperature)
Directions for the batter:
1. Use an electric mixer.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
3. Put the sugar, vanilla, and eggs into the bowl of the mixer. Mix on medium speed.
4. Slowly add chunks of the room temperature cream cheese (about 1/4 of a block at a time) until all the ingredients are blended and smooth. No lumps of cream cheese should be visible in the batter.
5. Add the sour cream to the batter. Blend slowly just until the sour cream is part of the batter. Do not over mix. About 30 seconds.
6. Pour the batter into the springform pan over the graham cracker crust.
7. Bake in a preheated oven at 350 Fahrenheit for 55 to 60 minutes. The cake should be lightly browned around the edges. It will wobble but it should not be liquid.
8. Take the cake out of the oven and let it cool completely IN THE PAN. When it is completely cooled, refrigerate at least 8 hours IN THE PAN.
9. The cake will crack on the top.
10 Open the spring form and remove it to serve.
Be careful…make it once and it will be the only cake you’ll be asked to bake.
Makes 12 servings.